WORCESTER, Mass. – The Endicott women's ice hockey team traveled to Becker College for a Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) contest and came away with a 3-0 victory on Saturday night.
The Gulls controlled play for the majority of the first period and found the back of the net twice to take a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes of play. Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) tallied Endicott's first goal at the 17:39 mark and Courtney Walpole (Allen, Texas) followed up with a goal less than 30 seconds later.
Endicott increased its lead to 3-0 on a powerplay goal from Ashlie Jones (Billerica, Mass.) at the 16:20 mark of the second period.
The Gulls continued to crash the net in the third frame but Becker was able to hold them off to keep the final score 3-0.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Earning assists during the game were Walpole, Gibbs, Jade Meier (Fairbanks, Alaska), Teneal Perry (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada), and Alexa Pretkelis (Crystal Lake, Ill.).
- With today's win, Endicott holds a 5-0-1 advantage in the all-time series with Becker.
- Kyra Johannson (Buffalo, N.Y.) (1-0-0) recorded 14 saves throughout the game to record her first win and shutout of the season.
- Meier, Jones, Michaela McNamara (Warwick, R.I.), Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.), and Ellen Carter (Roseville, Minn.) paced the offense with six shots each.
- The Gulls held a 59-14 shot advantage.
- Endicott won the faceoff matchup, 38-14.
- Walpole and Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) each won a team-high nine faceoffs.
FOR THE FOES
- Madison Rigsby (O'Fallon, Mo.) (3-10-2) got the start in net and made 35 saves. Julia Johnson (Littleton, Colo.) came in for the third period and made 21 saves to finish out the game.
- Michaela Martin (Sheldon, Vt.) led the offense with three shots.
Endicott (15-2-2, 6-0-2 CHC) travels to SUNY Canton for a 4 p.m. game on Friday, Feb. 2. Becker (3-13-3, 1-2-3 CHC) travels to Morrisville State on Friday, Feb. 2 at 5 p.m.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)