CANTON, N.Y. – The Endicott women's ice hockey team traveled to SUNY Canton for a Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) contest on Friday afternoon and skated away with a 2-1 victory.
The first period was scoreless although both teams got a few good looks on net.
Endicott struck first just under three minutes into the second period when Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) netted her sixth goal of the season to put the Gulls up 1-0.
The Roos responded at the 3:56 mark with a goal of their own from Jessica Pele (Estevan, Sask.) to tie the game at 1-1.
Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) improved to 12-2-1 on the season and recorded 28 saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.) and Walpole earned assists on Layo's tally.
- The Gulls now hold a 6-0-0 series advantage over the Roos.
- Endicott held a 40-29 shot advantage over SUNY Canton.
- Michaela McNamara (Warwick, R.I.) had a team-high nine shots.
- Layo won 10 faceoffs for the Gulls.
FOR THE FOES
- Brook Susac (Bowmanville, Ont.) made 38 saves and shifted to 6-9-2.
- Alexa Parigi (Nutley, N.J.) and Alyssa Hein (Regina, Sask.) assisted on Pele's goal.
- Pele led the team in shots with seven.
- Whitney Bernier (Newport, Vt.) and Pele each won a team-high 11 faceoffs.
Endicott (16-2-2, 7-0-2 CHC) and SUNY Canton (7-10-2, 3-3-1 CHC) faceoff again tomorrow, Saturday, Feb. 3 at 3 p.m. at the Roos House Atheltic Center.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)