MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Endicott women's ice hockey team traveled to Morrisville State for the semifinal round of the Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) tournament and came away with a 4-0 shutout of SUNY Canton.
The Gulls got on the board first with a tally from Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.) at the 4:54 mark of the first period. Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.) scooped the puck up in the corner of the rink and slid the puck to a waiting Klein in front of the net. Klein then sent the puck top shelf to score her 10th goal of the season.
Endicott added two goals in the second frame to increase the lead to 3-0. Hughes got on the board with help from Klein and Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) at the 8:40 mark. Just 18 seconds later, Dynnea Bezona (Fairbanks, Alaska) tallied her second goal of the season when she swept a pass from Rachel Lustenring (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) into the top left corner of the net.
Layo added a goal in the third period (14:20) to give the Gulls a 4-0 lead. Klein assisted on the tally to record her second helper of the contest.
Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) got the start in net and improved to 13-5-1 on the season with 20 saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Klein paced the offense with eight shots, while Michaela McNamara (Warwick, R.I.) was close behind with seven.
- The Gulls held a 37-18 shot advantage throughout the game.
- Endicott now leads the all-time series against SUNY Canton, 8-0.
- The Gulls were 1-for-5 on the powerplay.
- With the victory, the Gulls will appear in their third straight CHC Championship game.
FOR THE FOES
- Brooke Susac (Bowmanville, Ont.) shifted to 9-13-3 on the season with the loss and made 35 saves.
- Breanna Bedborough (Brampton, Ont.) had a team-high five shots.
No. 2 Endicott (19-5-2) will face No. 1 Morrisville State in the CHC Championship game which will take place on Sunday, March 4 at 1 p.m at the Morrisville IcePlex. SUNY Canton (10-14-3) ends the season with the loss.
(Photo Credit - Steve Samoyedny)