MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Endicott women's ice hockey team traveled to Morrisville State for the Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) championship game and were handed a 3-2 overtime loss by the Mustangs.
The Gulls found the back of the net at the 9:51 mark of the first period. Michaela McNamara (Warwick, R.I.) beat Morrisville goaltender Karoline Arvik (Trondheim, Norway) stick side on a pass from Madison Huber (Pittsburgh, Pa.) to give the Gulls a 1-0 advantage.
Morrisville came into the second period looking to tie up the game and they did just that when Kimberly Hughes (Lloydminster, Alberta) tallied her second goal of the season just over five minutes into the frame.
Endicott regained the lead just over three minutes into the third period. Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) scored her 13th goal of the season with help from Meaghan Farragher (Bridgewater, Mass.) and McNamara.
The Mustangs wouldn't go down without a fight and were able to tie the game at 2-2 when Alexziz Giannamore (Pittsburgh, Pa.) scored at 9:48 of the third frame. Neither team was able to get the go-ahead goal so the contest went into overtime.
Both teams saw several chances in the overtime period, but ultimately Morrisville's Ts'setku Dunstan (Kamloops, British Columbia) would net the game-winner at 17:54 of the extra frame.
Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) got the start in net and shifted to 13-6-1 on the season with 37 saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Gibbs' goal came on the powerplay (3:24, 3rd).
- Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.) led the team in shots with seven.
- Courtney Walpole (Allen, Texas) won a team-high eight faceoffs.
- Lauren Ferraiuolo (North Haven, Conn.) and Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.) were named to the CHC All-Tournament Team at the conclusion of the game.
FOR THE FOES
- Maria deWilde (Caistorville, Ontario) assisted on Hughes' goal (5:30, 2nd).
- Jessica Ujcik (Munich, Germany) assisted on both Giannamore and Dunstan's goals.
- Arvik finished the game with 35 saves.
- Maddison Devlin (Campbell River, British Columbia) had a team-high seven shots.
- The Mustangs held a slight 40-37 shot advantage.
Endicott (19-6-2) finishes the season with the loss. Morrisville State (17-7-3) captures the CHC championship title and the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
(Photo Credit - David Le)