RUTLAND, Vt. – The Endicott women's ice hockey team faced SUNY Canton in the WSYB/Catamount Radio Invitational championship game on Sunday afternoon and recorded a 4-3 overtime victory.
SUNY Canton jumped out to a 2-0 lead with goals at the 14:08 and 18:33 marks of the first period from Whitney Bernier (Newport, Vt.) and Lily Cullen (Churchville, N.Y.).
The Gulls cut that lead in half with a tally from Michaela McNamara (Warwick, R.I.) with just three seconds remaining in the first frame.
In the second period, the Kangaroos extended the lead to 3-1 when Kelly Leathem (Whitby, Ontario) found the back of the net.
Endicott continued to battle offensively and saw goals from McNamara and Lauren Ferraiuolo (North Haven, Conn.) to tie the game 3-3 in the third period and force overtime.
The game-winning goal came 59 seconds into the overtime period when Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.) netted her fifth goal of the season to secure the victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Alyssa Peterson (Cranberry Township, Pa.) got the start in net for the Gulls and made 16 saves.
- SUNY Canton netminder, Brooke Susac (Bowmanville, Ontario) recorded a season-high 54 saves.
- Earning assists during the game for the Gulls were Alexa Pretkelis (Crystal Lake, Ill.), Madison Huber (Pittsburgh, Pa.), Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.), Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.), Ferraiuolo and Klein.
- Endicott held a 58-19 shot advantage throughout the contest.
- Klein was named the Tournament MVP, while Ferraiuolo was selected to the All-Tournament Team.
Endicott (8-2-3) travels to Middlebury for a 4 PM game on Friday, January 11. SUNY Canton (5-5-3) hosts New England College on Friday, January 11 at 4 PM.
(Photo Credit - Castleton Sports Information Department)