BEVERLY, Mass. — The Endicott women's lacrosse team opened Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play with a 14-8 win over visiting Roger Williams University Saturday afternoon at Hempstead Stadium.
The Hawks drew first blood with the first of junior midfielder Kaelin Hogan's (Bethel, Conn.) team-high four tallies on the day at the 26:55 mark.
Endicott then responded with seven consecutive goals to take a 7-1 advantage and increased the lead to 9-2 (largest of the day) with just over 1:03 to play in the opening half.
Trailing 9-3 at the break, Roger Williams was able to cut the deficit to 9-5 at the 28:40 mark of the second stanza, but that's as close as the Hawks would get the rest of the way.
Endicott kept the pressure on to go back up by seven (13-6) with 10:12 remaining on freshman attack Meghan Dutchyshyn's (Cheshire, Conn.) game-high (career-high) fifth goal of the day and the Gulls cruised to victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Gulls tied their season-high by converting 5-of-7 free position goals.
- Endicott vacuumed up 26 ground balls compared to Roger Williams' 14.
- Sophomore goalie Bella Rino (Northborough, Mass.) earned her first collegiate win (1-0) in her first collegiate start as she made a career-high 10 saves (tied for game high).
- Freshman midfielder Jennifer Lacroix (Wrentham, Mass.) and sophomore midfielder Jackie Neilsen (Agawam, Mass.) each scored a hat trick, including Neilsen's first of the season.
- Senior attack Meghan Lennon (Canton, Mass.) and senior midfielder Emily Whitney (Rye, N.H.) each tallied two assists, while Lacroix, Dutchyshyn, and Neilsen all contributed one feed apiece.
- Whitney added two goals and sophomore attack Jackie Healy (Northborough, Mass.) added one marker.
- Whitney, Neilsen, and sophomore defender Molly McMahon (Hanover, Mass.) all scooped up a game-high four ground balls.
- Lacroix won a game-high four draw controls.
- Lennon, Whitney, and sophomore defender Talia Dellatto (Andover, Mass.) all caused a team-high two turnovers.
FOR THE FOES
- The Hawks also received a pair of goals from Marin Owens (Brookline, N.H.), and solo markers from freshman midfielder Ashley Warren (Wilmington, Mass.) and sophomore midfielder Emily Stoeppel (Brookfield, Conn.).
- Stoeppel led the squad with two assist, while Hogan, Warren, and freshman midfielder Shayne Rivard (Easton, Conn.) each dished out one apiece.
- Senior defender Elizabeth Cahn (Baltimore, Md.) scooped up a team-high three ground balls and caused a game-high three turnovers.
- Stoeppel won a team-high three draw controls.
- Senior goalkeeper Kimberly Bolk (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y.) shouldered the loss (5-3) as she made 10 saves (tied for game-high).
- Endicott and Roger Williams met for the 23rd time in program history.
- Endicott leads the all-time series, 19-4, while the Hawks had previously won the past four meetings, including a 16-7 victory in the 2016 CCC Championship on May 7, 2016 in the most recent meeting before today.
Endicott (4-3, 1-0 CCC) travels to the University of New England on Wednesday, March 29 at 7:00 p.m.
(Photo Credit - Jon Santer)