YORK, Pa. - The Endicott women's lacrosse team traveled to the campus of York College for the first round of the NCAA Tournament and the Gulls fell, 12-10, to Misericordia University.
The Cougars struck first on a tally from Lauren Weitzel (Hampstead, Md.) at the 28:03 mark but the Gulls responded in the next eight minutes with goals from Maya Feigenbaum (West Hartford, Conn.), Julia Lantieri (Glastonbury, Conn.), Jennifer Lacroix (Wrentham, Mass.), and Jackie Healy (Northborough, Mass.) to take the 4-1 lead.
Misericordia scored three unanswered goals to tie the game at 4-4 with just over 16 minutes remaining in the first half.
With 9:25 left on the clock, the Cougars saw Weitzel score her third goal of the game to give them the 5-4 advantage.
Both teams continued to trade goals in the remaining minutes of the half but ultimately the Gulls went into halftime with a 7-6 lead.
The Cougars outscored the Gulls, 6-1 in the first eight minutes of the second half and never gave up the lead from there.
Endicott attempted a late rally with goals from Ali Campbell (Lakeville, Mass.) and Lacroix in the closing minutes but Misericordia held on to secure the 12-10 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Cougars now lead the all-time series, 1-0.
- Feigenbaum led the Gulls offensively with three goals and one assist, while Lacroix also netted three goals.
- Bella Rino (Northborough, Mass.) recorded 13 saves in net for Endicott.
- Weitzel paced all scorers throughout the contest with four goals.
- Maggie McGovern (Huntington, N.Y.) made 11 saves for Misericordia.
Endicott (14-6) finishes out the season with the loss. Meanwhile, Misericordia (15-5) will face York on Sunday, May 12 at 1 PM.
(Photo Credit - Endicott College Sports Information)