BEVERLY, Mass. — The Endicott women's tennis team won its third match in as many days on Sunday evening as the Gulls defeated Wentworth, 8-1, at the South Campus Tennis Courts.
Endicott's No. 2 and No. 3 doubles pairings of Hayley Barnett (Marlboro, N.J.) / Reilly Fitzgibbons (Killingworth, Conn.) and Cameron Foley (Lynnfield, Mass.) / Alexi Losano (Saugus, Mass.) put the Gulls ahead quickly, 2-0, with back-to-back 8-1 victories. Meanwhile, Justine Hoover (Wallingford, Conn.) and Margot Andreasen (Portland, Maine) completed the sweep moments later with an 8-3 win at No. 1.
In singles play, Lauren Rahr (Waterford, Conn.) made it a 4-0 score with a swift 6-0, 6-0 triumph at No. 4, while Alexandra Barmore (Southington, Conn.) finished off the match via a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 5.
The Gulls also saw Gillian Freter (Scituate, Mass.), Cara McCormack (Worcester, Mass.), and Fernanda Trevino (Dallas, Texas) notched victories at No. 3 (6-0, 6-0), No. 6 (6-1, 6-0), and No. 2 (6-1, 6-1) singles, respectively.
"I'm proud of the way our team played over these last three days," said Endicott women's tennis head coach Jeremy Howard. "It was a great weekend of tennis, especially highlighted by the win over Babson and Senior Day on Saturday. The team will get some rest tomorrow before we travel to Salve Regina for another important conference match on Tuesday."
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is now 5-0 to start the season. It marks the first 5-0 start to a campaign since 2011-12 (16-6 overall, 7-1 CCC).
- The 2011-12 season started Endicott's string of five consecutive Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) championships.
- McCormack earned her first career singles victory today.
- Freter improved to 40-11 all-time with today's victory at the No. 3 singles position.
- Freter currently ranks seventh all-time in program history for career singles wins.
Endicott (5-0, 2-0 CCC) travels to Salve Regina University on Tuesday, September 18 at 3:30 PM. Wentworth (0-5, 0-2 CCC) visits Gordon next Tuesday at 5 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)