BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott women's volleyball team defeated Salem State in three straight sets on Tuesday night in front of a raucous crowd in the MacDonald Gymnasium. The Gulls swept the Vikings behind sets scores of 25-13, 25-7 and 25-21 to move to 4-1 on the season while Salem State falls to 1-2.
Endicott's aggressive serving and stifling defense helped hold Salem State to a -.119 hitting percentage on the night (12-20-67) as the Gulls were able to hit at a .230 clip. With the win, Endicott moves to 14-5 all-time against Salem State. The Gulls have won the last 10 consecutive decisions against the Vikings dating back to 2004, all of which have been by 3-0 sweeps.
BEYOND THE BOX
- Endicott saw seven players tally multiple kills as the team was led by freshman Alex Dippel's (St. Petersburg, Russia) seven kills on 13 swings.
- Fellow pins Tori McIntyre (San Diego, Calif.) and Emma Mancini (Lynnfield, Mass.) each recorded four kills in two sets played while McIntyre served up a team-best four aces.
- Setters Mareena Clotfelter (Poulsbo, Wash.), Emma Jutras (Cranston, R.I.) and Zoey Gifford (Natick, Mass.) all finished with seven assists.
- Libero Erika Trudon (Coventry, Conn.) finished with 11 digs in the victory, her third double-digit dig total of the season.
FOR THE FOES
- Salem was led by junior right side Olivia Swiatek (Rockland, Mass.) who posted a team-best five kills on the night.
- Libero Hannah Mullarkey (Salem, Mass.) tied for the match-high with 11 digs.
- Setters Sara Corey (Whatley, Mass.) and Mackenzie Salls (Turner Falls, Mass.) teamed up to post 11 assists and three digs in the match.
Endicott host round one of the MIT Invitational on Friday and will take on Tufts at 4:30 pm and Bates at 6:30 pm before traveling to Cambridge to take on Babson and Brandeis on Saturday. Salem State will compete in the Wheaton Invitational where they will take on Maine Maritime and Plattsburgh State on Friday and Wheaton and Emmanuel on Saturday.