NEWPORT, R.I. - Behind double-digit kill performances from both Emma Mancini (Lynnfield, Mass.) and Alex Dippel (Fallston, Md.), the Endicott women's volleyball team swept Salve Regina 3-0 on Saturday morning. With the win, Endicott improves to 8-5 overall on the season, and 2-0 in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play.
The Gulls were able to claim a tight first set by a 25-23 final after narrowly out-hitting the Seahawks .105 (12-8-38) to .056 (11-9-36). Endicott then earned a commanding 2-0 lead after taking the second set by a 25-18 final. The visitors would the complete the sweep by coming back late in the third set, rallying from a 21-18 deficit to win 25-22. Endicott registered their highest hitting percentage of the match in the third, out-hitting Salve Regina .231 (16-7-39) to .119 (11-6-42).
BEYOND THE BOX
- With the win, Endicott improves to 19-4 all-time against Salve Regina as Endicott has now won the last four straight meetings, the last two of which have come by sweeps.
- Setter Zoey Gifford (Natick, Mass.) continued her impressive play, collecting 29 assists and 13 digs for her third double-double of the season.
- Mancini hit a team-best .281 after posting 12 kills and just three hitting errors on 32 swings to go with six digs in the win, while Dippel posted a match-best 13 kills on 29 attempts. Dippel saw four of her kills come in the most crucial moments of the match, as she earned kills on the last four plays of the match.
- Libero Cydney Pierce (Carpinteria, Calif.) led the defensive efforts yet again for the Gulls, posting a match-high 13 digs in the win as Endicott held a 52-46 advantage in digs for the match.
- Sophomore Remi Quesnelle (Sunderland, Mass.) finished with seven kills and a solo block in the win.
FOR THE FOES
- Sophomore Annie Donahue (Chelmsford, Mass.) led all players with a .417 average after posting 12 kills on 24 swings in the middle.
- Samantha Salwa (Ellington, Conn.) finished with 17 assists and six digs for the Seahawks, while Sydney Puffer (Kittery, Maine) finished with a team-best 11 digs.
- Kendall Wilcox (Pomfret, Conn.) collected seven kills on 18 swings, good for a .333 average.
Endicott, 8-5 (2-0 CCC) continues CCC play on Tuesday when they travel to Curry for a 6:00 p.m. start, while Salve Regina, 5-7 (0-2 CCC), travels to Roger Williams on Tuesday for a 7:00 p.m. start.