MILTON, Mass. - Behind a dominant defensive effort on Tuesday night, the Endicott women's volleyball team swept Curry 3-0 on the road to remain perfect in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at 3-0. With the win, Endicott is now 9-5 overall on the season as they welcome UMass Boston to Beverly on Thursday night.
Endicott was able to take the three sets by scores of 25-12, 25-16, 25-18. The Gulls stormed out to the first set win behind a .306 average that saw Endicott rack up 17 kills (17-6-36) while holding the Colonels to an even .000 (5-5-30). The visitors bettered their average in the second, hitting .321 (14-5-28) while stepping up the defensive efforts, holding Curry to a -.091 (3-5-22) average. Endicott then completed the sweep by holding Curry negative yet again, this time holding the Colonels to a -.077 (6-9-39) average.
BEYOND THE BOX
- The Gulls remained perfect against Curry, moving to 8-0 all-time against the Colonels. In those eight match-ups, Endicott is a perfect 24-0 in sets played.
- In just two sets played, Emma Mancini (Lynnfield, Mass.) recorded a match-best 10 kills as she also hit an even .600 (10-1-15). Also hitting .600 or higher for the Gulls was Alex Dippel (Fallston, Md.) who hit a match-high .667 by picking up six kills on nine error-free swings in just one set played.
- Libero Cydney Pierce (Carpinteria, Calif.) led all players with 16 digs as she anchored an Endicott defense that held Curry to a -.055 average.
- Setters Mareena Clotfelter (Poulsbo, Wash.), Zoey Gifford (Natick, Mass.) and Emma Jutras (Cranston, R.I.) combined to post 33 assists, seven digs and three aces in the vcitory.
- Freshmen Erin Skidmore (Franklin, Mass.) and Nicole Winkler (Southborough, Mass.) notched 10 kills on 25 swings combined, with Skidmore posting a .333 (4-0-12) average, and Winkler a .308 (6-2-13) average.
FOR THE FOES
- Grace Stafford (West Yarmouth, Mass.) and Nicole Rice (Woburn, Mass.) tied for the team lead with five kills each.
- Monica Wilkes (Franklin Lakes, N.J.) posted 12 digs in the set back, good for tops on the team.
Endicott, now 9-5 (3-0 CCC) plays host to regional power UMass Boston on Thursday at 6:00 p.m. before hosting CCC rival Roger Williams on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. Curry, now 7-7 (2-2 CCC) travels to Dean on Thursday for a 7:00 p.m. start.