BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott men's lacrosse team was dealt a 13-4 loss by No. 6 Amherst on Tuesday evening.
Jack Sutherland (Sudbury, Mass.), A.J. MacDonald (New Fairfield, Conn.), Nick Arcadipane (Groveland, Mass.), and Matthew Faucher (Western Springs, Ill.) all chipped in with goals for the Gulls. Meanwhile, junior goalkeeper Patrick Dean (Westhampton, N.Y.) made a career-high 17 saves.
Amherst immediately gained control of the game, scoring seven unanswered goals in the first quarter. With under two minutes left to play in the quarter, Sutherland scored to break up the Amherst's shutout bid. The Mammoths then went on to score with just 27 seconds left to finish out the first quarter with an 8-1 lead.
The game turned into a defensive battle the rest of the way as both teams only scored one goal each in the second and third quarters, respectively. Ultimately, Amherst pulled away, outscoring the Gulls 3-1 in the fourth quarter for the final score of 13-4.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Ben Clark (Burnt Hills, N.Y.), Myles Horn (Pocasset, Mass.), and Matthew Faucher (Western Springs, Ill.) all tallied an assist.
- Hayden Souza (West Hartford, Conn.) led the defense with four caused turnovers while also picking up five ground balls.
- The Gulls lost the faceoff battle despite Derek Yannone (Lynnfield, Mass.) going 7-of-17 at the face-off X.
- Endicott scored on 2-of-6 man up attempts.
FOR THE FOES
- Sophomore attack Jon Coffey (Summit, N.J.) paced the Mammoths with five goals, three assists, six ground balls, and one caused turnover.
- Sophomore midfielder Matt Solberg (East Grand Rapids, Mich.) scored three goals and tallied two assists.
- Dylan Finazzo (Bohemia, N.Y.) won 13-of-20 faceoff attempts while also scooping up six ground balls.
- As a team, Amherst went 16-of-18 on its clear attempts.
- So far this season, Amherst has defeated No. 2 Denison, 19-13, on March 16 and came up just short to No. 1 RIT, 21-16, on March 17.
Endicott (0-5) travels to Salve Regina on Saturday, March 24 at 7:00 PM for their first conference matchup of the season. No. 10 Amherst (5-1) will host Hamilton College on Saturday, March 24 at 1:00 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)