NEWPORT, R.I. – The Endicott softball team swept Salve Regina during a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) doubleheader on Saturday afternoon. The Gulls won the first game, 5-3, and the second, 4-0.
ENDICOTT 5, SALVE REGINA 3
The Gulls jumped out to an early 2-0 lead during the first inning as Gina DeMilt (Princeton, N.J.) got things started with a triple to right field before advancing home on a single up the middle from Jamie Hopgood (Warwick, R.I.). Hopgood later rounded home on a single from Hayley Arduini (Southington, Conn.) to give the Gulls the two-run advantage.
Salve Regina responded in the bottom of the second with a run of its own to cut the deficit to one run.
During the third inning, DeMilt got on base and then scored when Hopgood hit a double to center field to increase the Endicott lead to 3-1.
The Seahawks and the Gulls continued to trade runs which led to Endicott holding a slight 4-3 advantage by the top of the sixth inning.
DeMilt once again scored on a double from Hopgood in the top of the seventh to secure the 5-3 victory for the Gulls.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Maggie Oram (Lexington, Mass.) improved to 4-1 on the season in the circle (7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 8 K).
- Leading the Gulls offensively were Hopgood (3-for-3, 3 RBI, 2 doubles) and DeMilt (3-for-4, 4 runs, 1 triple).
- Andi Nelson (Candia, N.H.) shifted to 7-3 overall with the loss. She struck out two batters while allowing one walk and nine hits.
ENDICOTT 4, SALVE REGINA 0
The Gulls once again jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, this time during the top of the fourth inning. Lauren Misiaszek (Londonderry, N.H.) walked to get on base and then scored on a triple to right field from Arduini. Arduini made it home during the next at-bat when Peyton Atkins (Goshen, N.Y.) hit a double to center field.
Endicott added to its lead with one run in both the fifth and sixth innings.
The Gulls held on defensively to shut out the Seahawks and secure the 4-0 win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Laura Somerville (Suffield, Conn.) pitched all seven innings and allowed five hits while striking out two batters to improve to 3-0 on the season.
- Atkins finished the game 2-for-2 at the plate with two RBI and a double.
- Arduini went 1-for-2 with one RBI and a triple.
- The Gulls lead the all-time series with Salve Regina, 36-13.
Endicott (9-3, 2-0 CCC) is scheduled to host crosstown rival Gordon College in conference action on Monday, April 2 at 3 PM. Salve Regina (8-11, 2-2 CCC) hosts UMass Dartmouth on Thursday, April 4 at 4 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)