BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott softball team traveled to No. 23 nationally-ranked Tufts University for a nonconference doubleheader on Tuesday afternoon and came away with a split. The Gulls dropped the first game 4-3 but came back for a 2-0 victory during the second game.
TUFTS 4, ENDICOTT 3
The Jumbos took a 3-0 lead in the fourth inning and then added one more run in the fourth off a home run to left field by Maggie Lebinski (Monroe, Conn.) to extend the advantage to 4-0.
Endicott responded in the sixth with a late rally attempt, highlighted by doubles from Gina DeMilt (Princeton, N.J.) and Jamie Hopgood (Warwick, R.I.) and a single from Lauren Misiaszek (Londonderry, N.H.), to cut the deficit to 4-3.
The Gulls saw the tying run get to second in the top of the seventh but the Tufts defense held on to secure the 4-3 win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Laura Somerville (Suffield, Conn.) shifted to 3-1 on the season with the loss (6 IP, 5 SO, 1 BB, 4 H, 4 R, 1 ER).
- Kristi Van Meter (Amston, Conn.) improved to 8-1 in the circle for the Jumbos (7 IP, 11 SO, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB).
- Misiaszek went 1-for-2 at the plate with one RBI, while DeMilt and Hopgood went 1-for-3 with 1 RBI and a double each.
ENDICOTT 2, TUFTS 0
Endicott jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the third inning. Peyton Atkins (Goshen, N.Y.) got things started with a double down the left field line and then advanced to third on a wild pitch. Olivia Odermatt (Cheshire, Conn.) sent Atkins home with a single to right field before she rounded home plate herself on a double from DeMilt.
The Jumbos continued to pressure offensively as they saw six hits throughout the rest of the contest but Endicott held them scoreless to secure the 2-0 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Michaela Hamill (Lynn, Mass.) improved to 4-2 overall this season with the win in the circle (7 IP, 4 SO, 7 H, 0 BB, 0 R).
- Kristina Haghdan (Pelham, N.H.) shifted to 6-1 overall with the loss (7 IP, 8 SO, 3 H, 1 BB, 2 R, 2 ER).
- Odermatt, DeMilt, and Atkins led the Gulls offensively as they all went 1-for-3 at the plate.
- The last time the Gulls defeated Tufts was April 21, 2008, and Endicott won that contest 2-1.
- The last time Endicott defeated a nationally ranked opponent was March 18, 2010, with a 7-5 win over Illinois Wesleyan (based on available record books).
Endicott (12-4, 4-0 CCC) hosts Western New England for a doubleheader on Saturday, April 6 at 12 PM. Tufts (17-3, 3-0 NESCAC) travels to Bowdoin for a 4 PM contest on Friday, April 5.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)