BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott women's ice hockey team welcomed UMass Boston to the Raymond J. Bourque Arena on Tuesday night and came away with a hard-fought 1-0 overtime victory.
The first period was a close one, with the Beacons holding a slight 10-9 shot advantage. Endicott upped the offensive pressure in both the second and third periods, outshooting UMass-Boston 18-3 and 10-8, respectively, but the game remained knotted at 0-0 through regulation.
Both teams saw opportunities in the opening minutes of the overtime period and with one minute remaining, Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) found the back of the net with some help from Meaghan Farragher (Bridgewater, Mass.) and Ellen Carter (Roseville, Minn.) to give the Gulls their first win of the season.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) made 24 saves between the pipes to earn her first shutout of the year.
- Gibbs is now the program leader in game-winning goals with eight total.
- Caty Flagg (Methuen, Mass.) recorded 38 saves for the Beacons during the loss.
- This is the second straight overtime contest for Endicott.
- The Gulls now lead the all-time series, 2-0, against UMass Boston.
Endicott (1-0-1) hosts the University of New England on Friday, November 9 for a 7 PM conference contest. UMass Boston (1-1-0) welcomes Plymouth State for a 4 PM game on Friday, Nov. 2.
(Photo Credit - David Le)