BEVERLY, Mass. – The first-seeded Endicott women's ice hockey team received an overtime goal from Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) eleven minutes into the extra frame to defeat third-seeded Morrisville State College, 1-0, on Sunday afternoon in the Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) Championship game.
Neither team was able to find the back of the net throughout three periods of regulation play as both goaltenders stood strong to keep the contest knotted at 0-0.
Eleven minutes into the overtime period, Maeve Moynihan (West Roxbury, Mass.) took a hard shot from the left point that got deflected by a defender and ended up behind the net. Jade Meier (Fairbanks, Alaska) collected the rebound and passed the puck into the slot for Gibbs who one-timed home her 13th goal of the season.
With the win, the Gulls captured their first CHC Championship title in program history and will make their first NCAA Division III Tournament appearance.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) recorded 28 saves in net to record her seventh shutout of the season.
- Morrisville netminder, Karoline Arvik (Trondheim, Norway) made 51 stops throughout the game.
- Gibbs was named to the All-Tournament Team and was also named the Tournament MVP.
- Courtney Walpole (Allen, Texas), Ellen Carter (Roseville, Minn.), Mackenzie Lombardi (Hamilton, Ontario), Arvik, and Jonsson were all named to the All-Tournament Team.
- The Gulls held a 52-28 shot advantage throughout the contest.
- Endicott is now 6-5-1 all-time against the Mustangs.
Endicott (19-4-4) awaits the announcement of the NCAA Division III Women's Hockey Tournament bracket on Monday, March 4. Morrisville State College (16-9-2) concludes their season with the loss.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)