BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott men's lacrosse team remained undefeated in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play (2-0) on Saturday afternoon with a 12-9 victory over Wentworth at Hempstead Stadium.
Tied 9-9 with under 10 minutes remaining in regulation, Elijah Bard (Agawam, Mass.) sniped home his third goal of the season at the 9:31 mark off a feed from Chris Reilly (Westwood, Mass.) to give Endicott the lead for good.
Jack Sutherland (Sudbury, Mass.) followed with his 10th goal of the season at 7:50 when he ripped a shot into the back of the net to make it 11-9, while Reilly secured the win at the 1:33 mark on an unassisted tally (fifth of the season).
Endicott's defense also played a major role in today's victory as the Gulls' defensive unit held Wentworth to just four goals from the second quarter on after the Leopards opened the game with five markers in the first. As a whole, Endicott's defense recorded 12 caused turnovers – highlighted by Andrew Fithian (Marshfield, Mass.) who had three (game-high) – and 39 ground balls.
The Gulls also went 14-for-19 on clear attempts and saw Patrick Dean (Westhampton, N.Y.) notch seven saves – including five alone in the second half – to move to 2-6 on the season in cage.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is 21-3 in the all-time series against Wentworth. The Gulls also have won the last 18 meetings between the two programs.
- Will Clark (Burnt Hills, N.Y.), Nick Arcadipane (Groveland, Mass.), and Reilly tied for the team-high in goals with two, respectively. Reilly also dished out two assists to lead all Endicott point-getters with four total.
- Derek Yannone (Lynnfield, Mass.) went 16-for-23 at the faceoff X, and had 10 ground balls (game-high).
FOR THE FOES
- Ben Coakley (Flemington, N.J.) paced all scorers with four goals and one assist.
- Kyle Doner (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) chipped in with two goals and one assist.
- Adam Dufault (Lexington, Mass.) registered nine saves in the loss (4-2).
Endicott (2-6, 2-0 CCC) travels to Roger Williams on Wednesday, April 4 at 7 PM. Wentworth (6-3, 1-2 CCC) visits Western New England next Wednesday at 7 PM.
(Photo Credit - Nick Grace)